Thursday 7 February 2008

Being rich

I have been reminded this morning how rich I am. Here is my portfolio:
  • Good health - a pain free and moderately fit life
  • Loving relationships - wife, children, assorted friends - we all get on well
  • Brain the size of a planet - OK a small asteroid then - a decent intellect, a logical mind and a polymathic curiosity
  • Fulfilling work - too much of it sometimes, but I am never stuck for things to do - yesterday, for example, was one of those very satisfying days when I led a Bible study, attended Coffee Call, visited someone to arrange a funeral, oversaw a worship support group for our probationer minister, led a house fellowship, found time to read, walk, make a few phone calls, do some admin, watch TV and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.
  • Pleasant environment - I live in a good neighbourhood with easy access to both city and country - and the night sky last night (on my walk) was breathtakingly beautiful (especially with Breathless by Camel as the accompanying soundtrack).
  • Material wealth - this is not the place to set down the extent of our finances, but let's just say we have enough to manage our choice of lifestyle without undue worry.
So basically I'm rich. And in a world where so many don't have the above luxuries I am deeply grateful for what I have. Thank you, Lord.

No comments: