Friday 17 October 2008

Procreation in heaven?

I have discovered an answer to a problem that has troubled me for years. It may not be a rigorously academic answer, but it satisfied me - which is all I ask for.

The problem is not the existence of natural disasters. I have long ago come to the conclusion that the same turbulent geology which gives rise to earthquakes and volcanoes also provides the conditions that give rise to living organisms. The same random mutations in our DNA which make evolution possible also give rise to disease and disability. In other words, even with all its problems, this is the best possible natural world in which human life could come into being. To put it bluntly, God could not have created a world which was a) without the potential for natural disaster and b) capable of producing intelligent life.

The problem is this: What about heaven? I want to believe in an environment which will contain no shred of suffering or pain, no sickness or disease. My concept of heaven is that it is more real and more substantial than our present existence, that one day I will look back on my 'earthly' life and see it as a pale shadow of the true life lived in heaven. But if I am going to argue that God couldn't create a pain-free earth, then how can I argue for a pain-free heaven?

And here's the recently discovered solution: There will be no procreation in heaven. It is earth which gives birth to that mysterious mix of mind, body and spirit which we call a human being. Heaven is the place where human life can flourish in all its fullness, but it is not the cradle of such life.

Let me use an illustration. The life of a plant is largely lived in an environment called 'above ground'. Here is where you see the plant grow and flourish and reach its full potential. But that life germinates in a dark gloomy place called 'underground'. Life begins in one place and flourishes in another. It may be necessary for the birthing-place to have some unpleasant aspects, but the living space can be trouble-free.

And if you think this is all mere fanciful speculation to set my mind at rest, I refer you to 1 Corinthians 15:35-49
"When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed. ... The splendour of the heavenly bodies is one kind, and the splendour of the earthly bodies is another. ... It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body."

No comments: