Friday 24 April 2009

A nudge from God

Visitors to our Street Pastor training session last night offered to pray for us and share any 'words of knowledge' they might have. If this sounds a bit weird, then all I can say is that it was done in a very down-to-earth and sensible way without any undue hype and everyone seemed to feel uplifted and encouraged by the experience.

In my case the girl who prayed for me said two things which made me think. One was that she saw a picture of origami - someone folding paper into intricate patterns - and felt that my gift was to approach things scientifically and logically. This led me to wonder how I can use such a gift to help build up the church. (Answers on a postcard please....)

The other thing she said (twice) was that I should stop seeing things as grey but rather as black and white. I took this as a hint that it is time for me to give up my favourite pastime of sitting on the fence, reserving judgement as much as I can, and leaving situations well alone. Instead I should have a clearer idea of what is right and wrong and act accordingly. Her final comment was that perhaps my 'scientific approach' should be as simple as - 'this is what God says, so go and do it'.

Which just leaves the question, 'what exactly is God telling me to do?' The only answer that's come as I've slept on it is to love people. I don't do this nearly enough. When confronted with someone in need I will try to help, but between those times I am not particularly pro-active. Perhaps I should be sitting down each day and asking myself, 'who needs my help today and what can I do to bring them God's love?'

2 comments:

a fragrance of God said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
a fragrance of God said...

Managed to delete last post when trying to edit!
I think you should use your scientific, logical mind to re-organise your circuit to ensure that much of the paperwork is done by a full-time administrator/business manager with a gift for administration. This would allow you and the other ministers to be free to do what you should be doing - minister! Hand over your diaries to the administrator and see where you go from there. Then, just as origami allows you to change a dull piece of paper into an object of beauty,you will be able to turn paper into something much more worthwhile for the church!