Wednesday 23 September 2009

The perils of avoiding workaholism

I have always prided myself on not being a workaholic. Unlike the majority of ministers of my acquaintance, I do not work all the hours God sends. I like my leisure. I enjoy family activities. My work-life balance generally errs on the side of 'life' rather than 'work'.

But there is a danger here. At worst the danger is that I become self-indulgent and lazy. A more subtle peril is that I make achieving the right work-life balance my overarching aim. When I remember what Jesus went through, and what he expects his followers to go through, I realise that I am in danger of lacking the passionate drive which causes people to throw themselves wholeheartedly into a cause whatever the personal cost. So let me remind myself of my main aim in life - to live for Christ. Yes I do this by working in the church, but also by caring for my family and even by enjoying all the good things God has given (including MarioKart Wii). But whatever I'm doing I ought to be doing it enthusiastically and to the best of my ability because I am doing it for Christ.

No comments: