Friday 15 April 2011

A kick up the backside

Life is good. I am very contented. I have no major worries. Family, health, finance - all ticking along nicely.

I perceive this as something of a problem, highlighted by the question "These days what am I passionate about?" I would find it difficult to come up with an honest answer which didn't make me sound idle and self-centred. (Possible answers include trivial pastimes on the computer and organising my iPod - as I said, nothing which puts me in a good light.) I know what I ought to be passionate about - communicating the gospel; being a follower of Christ; helping make this world a better place. So why don't these things stir me and motivate me?

OK, let's not paint too harsh a picture: Yes, they do stir me a bit. But not nearly enough.

I once read a prayer (it's in one of my books somewhere and I'm sure I'll come across it again one day) which ended with the heartfelt plea, "Give us a kick up the backside, Lord." I need to make that my own personal prayer...

Lord, shake me out of my contentment. Stir me up. Ignite my fire. Renew my passion. I realise that for this to happen it may mean some big problem or issue landing on my lap, but if that's what it takes, then so be it. I could happily drift along like this indefinitely, but it wouldn't be good for me, and it wouldn't do much to advance the cause of the kingdom. So give me a kick up the backside, Lord. May the next blog entry be one in which I record that I have been well and truly kick-started!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Paul again I love your honesty and a timely message that applies to us all! Just to find that spark again and that first love when we first came to know Jesus and reminds me also that only He is faithful and we are not. May I as you find a deeper relationship with Him that will inspire others on this wonderful journey. Instead of being preoccupied with things of lesser importance. Bless you for your ministry to us ... All for Jesus!