Monday 17 May 2010

God decides how and who

Despite the long description of how to construct tabernacle, ark, altar, lampstand etc., I'm not sure there is quite enough detail for a craftsman to simply follow the instructions. You could imagine someone asking God, "How big should the pomegranate decorations be and what shape do you want the bells which alternate with them? Open-bottomed like handbells or little globes like sleighbells?" In order to get the place of worship built to his specifications God not only outlines his plans, but he appoints particular people to carry out the work (Bezalel and Ahisamach), to whom he gifts the required skills.

When I look at the church and the community we live in, then it's not difficult to understand what plans God has for us. At least I can envision an ideal world in which all people live in harmony and love one another in practical ways. Exactly how we construct such a world is not so clear. But then I realise that God has actually called me by name to be one of those engaged in bringing about his Kingdom. And I have to assume that if he's called me, he's given me the skills I need. It doesn't often feel like that. Usually I'm floundering in a sea of indecision not knowing the best way to lead. Perhaps I should trust my instincts more. Perhaps I should pray for wisdom and then be brave enough to move in what I believe is the right direction.

No comments: