Friday 30 November 2007

Goths, grungers and emos

Last night, as part of our local street pastor training, we had a fascinating illustrated talk about the dress code, attitude, musical taste and preferred drugs of various youth cultures. Namely, hip-hop; gangsta; punk; BMX-er; skateboarder; goth; grunge; metalhead; emo and chav. On the one hand, it opened my eyes to the issues we encounter amongst some of the youngsters we meet on a Friday night patrol. On the other hand I found some of the attitudes alien and depressing. How can the gospel of Jesus get through to such people? How can such sub-cultures be redeemed? Is there any way they can become an expression of the Christian faith? Can they take on board the Christian ethos whilst maintaining their own unique characteristics?

I am used to the concept that the kingdom of God has room for many kinds of sub-cultures - elderly high church Anglicans, black Pentecostals, conservative evangelical students, earnest environmental activists, sportspersons, bikers, politicians etc. etc. Is there room for Christian metalheads or Christian goths or Christian emos? Maybe God is more open and welcoming than we imagine.

One thing I do know is that it is too easy to look down on such people because I feel I am better than they are. The talk ended with a paragraph which sounded strangely familiar:
"The street pastor struck up a pose and prayed to the Lord, 'I thank you that I am not like that goth / grunger / emo / chav. I give my time generously and patrol the streets every Friday.'"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mathmethman,

You may recall that I am a Street Pastor in Swindon - I'd be very interested in a copy of the illustrated talk on youth sub-cultures if it's available to share? Please let me know.

Thanks

Lucy lucy.hayward@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

K dude, I happen to Be a Punk guy and i hate you fucks who try to impose your ideals of what I should be. YOUR life is not MY life, and i and many others like myself would respect you and people like you more if you would just LAY OFF the "Converting" thing. I am an Athiest and i still belive that people shouldnt do "evil" things. Religion has NOTHING to do with ethic.

Poppie Smith

mathmethman said...

Hello Poppie. Sounds like you might have been on the receiving end of some insensitive attempts to convert you.

You'll be glad to know that the ethos of Street Pastors is all about caring and listening rather than trying to impose our ideas on other people. In the couple of years I've been a Street Pastor, most of the conversations we have had with young people, whether punks or goths or any other group, have been friendly and respectful on both sides.