Sunday 16 December 2007

Should I become a more snappy dresser?

On Friday I had two similar conversations, one with a fellow Street Pastor and one with a friendly Goth. The first was about the importance of looking your best on a Sunday - smart clothes, neatly pressed etc. The second was about buying quality clothing because it makes you feel good about yourself.

Long ago I used to dress quite casually to lead worship, including a pair of worn but comfortable shoes. I didn't think 'me looking smart' was a significant element of my ministry. I was put right by some kind but firm comments from a more experienced preacher. Ever since I have worn a suit (and clean shoes) when leading Sunday worship - except for communion services when I don a cassock.

But I'm still not as careful as I could be about my appearance. Many of my shirts are looking rather the worse for wear and are tight round the collar. (They were made to measure years ago and I can only assume that over time they have shrunk.) Ditto the cassock, which is less comfortable around the waist than it used to be. (I didn't think that belts were capable of shrinking, but mine clearly has.) I do iron a shirt and polish my shoes before the Sunday service but for the rest of the week I get away with as little ironing as possible. Bottom line - it takes more time and effort to look smart than I am prepared to give.

The trouble is that the same attitude spills over into other areas of life. I don't put in the advance preparation because I am comfortable just winging it on the day. I don't feel I have to prove a point by only letting people see me at my best. I'm happy with who I am and confident enough to allow my shabby side to be seen. I don't take time to pray or read the Bible because I already have a good enough grasp of spiritual matters to get by.

I have decided that this attitude is simply not good enough. Not for my own well-being and certainly not for the impact I ought to be making on the world around me. I've got to raise my standards. I've got to aim for higher quality. And if that means putting in the time and effort to prepare well, then so be it.

No comments: