Monday 29 September 2008

The Bible comes to life

The Bible is a book that some enthuse over because it speaks to them on a regular basis. It seems to me that one's relationship with the Bible is dependant in large part on what mood you are in as you read. Today I was in a very receptive mood. And for the first time in yonks verses have been leaping off the page and addressing my precise situation.

For example, ever since I began this blog I have been trying to engage with the questions raised by Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion. Some of my responses are recorded in the blog. Though I have come up with counter-arguments which are more-or-less logical, none of them are watertight, and I have not been able to shake off a tiny niggling doubt - "What if Dawkins is right?" Today God gave me a command which I intend to follow. In the words of Colossians 2:8...
See to it that no-one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human traditioin and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

No comments: