Thursday 20 September 2007

Do and find out

Richard Dawkins has given me some very plausible reasons why I should cease to believe. I am having to think through the reasons why I continue to believe and test their logical validity. The question I am addressing is "How do I know my faith in God, or more specifically in the God revealed in Jesus, is true rather than some kind of self-delusion?"

Today I read the words of Jesus -
"If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out..." (John 7:17)
- and realised that doing what God wants (loving him and loving others) is an excellent way to discover the truth about who Jesus is.

Theorising can only get you so far. Practice is important too. There is a world of difference between reading a book about how to win at Limit Hold 'Em Poker (which I did recently - it came free with the Independent newspaper) and risking your hard-earned cash in an on-line game (which I have no intention of doing - ever). I can live with only a theoretical knowledge of poker. I cannot live with only a theoretical knowledge of Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a huge problem here- how do you know if anything is true?

Obviously because it makes sense of things. In science, the laws or theories of XYZ have had experiments that have validated its hypothesis. However, further experiments can repudiate it. Further, in a different time-space or circumstance, the theory may not be applicable. For instance, quantum physics is much different to astronomy.
You raise a good point about the existential basis of Christianity. Only in Christianity does God Himself come in flesh and blood for us, and give an example in which to emulate.
Christianity is only believed and professed by those the Holy Spirit allows. It is given to the humble.