Saturday 22 September 2007

I'm a soft touch

Question: Why is at that when someone approaches me in London asking for £2 bus fare to visit his mother in hospital, and I know from the moment that he opens his mouth that he is just spinning me a yarn in the hope of getting money, I still end up giving him £2?
Answer: Because I am weak-willed. I would rather fork out £2 and give him the impression that I am generous than refuse and have him think ill of me - even though I know he is a con-man (who has precisely judged the amount I am likely to fork out quickly to get rid of him) and his opinion of me shouldn't matter a jot.
Question: Next time someone accosts me with a similar request for money, will I have the inner strength to say no and walk away?
Answer: Time will tell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.