Thursday 13 September 2007

Ministerial Accountability

Every few months there is a gathering of ministers from four or five local circuits for discussion and support. We meet at Farringtons School and stay on for lunch. Today we had a lively discussion which mostly centred on the idea of “Extending Discipleship, Exploring Vocation” – the process mentioned under item 2 in my previous blog. One of the strengths of Methodism as I see it is that we are less hierarchical than some denominations, but rely on mutual accountability. Colleagues support and challenge one another. Or at least, after meeting with colleagues I often come away feeling both supported and challenged.


The aspect of today’s conversation which particularly challenged me was the importance of doing my work well, and that means engaging with other people. I recognise that it is vital for ministers to find time for study, reflection and personal spiritual growth. (I’m usually happy to do that.) But it is also vital for ministers to communicate their experience and discoveries to others. (I’m not always so good at that.) Even when working alone, my business ought to be about disseminating important information to appropriate people (hence the need for paperwork) and preparing to lead a congregation into God’s presence through meaningful worship and relevant preaching. I should not work simply to pass the time in a relatively interesting way. I should work for the benefit of others.


No comments: