Wednesday 19 September 2007

Enjoyable moments

Sometimes I am so busy enjoying life that I forget to be grateful, but if I take a few minutes to look back over the last 48 hours, there are a number of things I want to thank God for.
  1. A rather tasty men's luncheon club meal culminating in apple and blackberry sponge.
  2. The relief of getting the CD player to work after some initial problems so that the men could sing-a-long to some good old songs (as an interlude to let our guest entertainer rest her own voice).
  3. An amusing and heartwarming film squeezed in between the men's lunch and the evening local preachers meeting, namely "Run Fatboy Run". Even though towards the end some parts were cheesy and predictable, I found it stirring enough to bring a small lump to my throat.
  4. The satisfaction of being able to take a car-load of rubbish, duly sorted into recyclable categories, to the local tip.
  5. A pleasant walk with S, H and Tessa the dog during which we found enough blackberries still on the bushes to form the basis of blackberry vinegar. (I was given a bottle of home-made blackberry vinegar around 8 years ago which I only ever use to sprinkle on cabbage and make it edible. The bottle is running out and S volunteered to produce a new supply.)
  6. A relaxing postprandial forty winks in the sunshine.
  7. The completion of my tax return two weeks in advance of the deadline. (NB If anyone is wondering what happened to my ministerial responsibilities - Tuesday is my day off.)
  8. Four delightful wall paintings at the local school where I am a governor. I was attending a finance committee, but stopped on the way out to admire the impressive artwork.
  9. A short (20 minutes) but invigorating evening walk accompanied by a long (20 minutes) uplifting prog rock track.
  10. People willing to become my friends on facebook. I had assumed that none of the younger generation would be interested in having an old fogey like me as a friend, but some responded very quickly to my general invitation.
  11. A gripping conclusion to West Wing Season 4. I had not intended to watch further seasons, but now I don't know if I can live with the suspense of not knowing what happens next.
For all the above, and for many other blessings. Thanks, Lord.

No comments: