Thursday 4 October 2007

Life on a runaway train

My life at the moment seems like a runaway train with no imminent possibility of stopping. The stations go flashing by whether I am ready for them or not. Yesterday, for example, the train passed through stations called Bible Study, Ministers Fellowship and Attending a Church Council to support a colleague. Today I will be travelling through District meeting about Local Preachers, Publicity Committee, Prayer Meeting and Bible Study Mark II.

There is baggage to be offloaded at most stations, so I am kept busy between stations. Sometimes I am able to have the baggage well enough prepared to hand it over in a careful and satisfying manner. Sometimes it's not properly prepared and just gets tossed out onto the platform with an apology as the train whizzes through. At each station, further baggage, in varying quantities, is loaded into my compartment with the expectation that I will deal with it as the train rattles along. I like those stations where I have little or no baggage to drop off and even more where I have no baggage added to the heap already filling my compartment.

There are times on the journey when I ignore the baggage and relax, but the train never stops, the next station inevitably approaches and somewhere in the clutter of my life there are parcels and packages to be sorted and tidied ready for delivery...

This is clearly not how I ought to feel about life, but I've no time to reflect further - the next station is coming up rapidly.

No comments: