Tuesday 2 October 2007

Motivated by love

Following on from yesterday's post: If I am not motivated by fear of failure, is there another driving force which will impel me to strive for excellence?

One possibility is love. Love for God, for my family and for the world at large. How about offering up today as a gift to God and my family? It's supposed to be my day off, so the world at large can sit on the back burner for the moment - a mixed metaphor which conjures up an interesting image. Actually, before the day ends I will have to consider at least some sections of the world at large. First thing tomorrow morning I will have an organist expecting me to tell her the hymns for Sunday and a Bible Study group expecting me to lead and inspire them. The time I devote to preparing for tomorrow will make up for the time off I took yesterday when I went with my daughter to see Atonement.

So what's the best gift I can give to my family today? The time to enjoy life with them, and the effort required to accomplish those domestic tasks which are uppermost in our plans. And what's the best gift I can give to God? I want to say a tidy study and an empty in-tray (in earnest of my desire to be an efficient minister in his service), but maybe that would be more of a gift to myself. The bottom line is that there is simply too much clutter (unattended paperwork from the last two weeks) and I don't work well in a cluttered environment. Restoring order will increase my effectiveness no end. Tidying up can be a gift of love, can't it?

  • The outcome: I tidied my desk - no small achievement - and accompanied assorted members of the family a) to the garden of remembrance and b) on the piano. The day was not long enough and my motivation not strong enough to do everything I had hoped - but 70% for effort.

No comments: