Friday 12 October 2007

The word "Raca" is not in my vocabulary.

The word Raca is an Aramaic term of contempt and, according to Jesus, those who use it ought to be hauled before the authorities. (Matthew 5:21-22)

For a long time I have been proud of the fact that I have never committed murder. I can read with equanimity that part of the Sermon on the Mount which warns against being angry. I am not naturally an angry person. But I have only just discovered a worse attitude than anger - contempt. Anger makes you want to hurt other people. Contempt for them means you don't care if they get hurt or not. I may never say Raca, but if I look in my heart I find that I do harbour feelings of mild contempt for certain people or types of people. I don't care about them.

Lord, help me respect everyone I encounter today. Help me to recognise them as fellow human beings. Help me to care about their lives as much as I care about my own.

No comments: