Saturday 6 October 2007

Take control

There is nothing stopping me taking control of my life other than my weak will. Am I a man or a mouse? Do I want to retire to bed tonight feeling that I have ambled my way through another day without achieving anything? Am I an American or an American't? (neither)

Seriously though, I have my list of jobs which I need to do this afternoon. Some I will do (taking garden rubbish to the tip; doing the weekly shop at Sainsbury's; collecting props for tomorrow's parade service) because I have effectively promised other people I will do them. Some I will do, but not necessarily giving my best effort (practising my contribution for tonight's Harvest Supper entertainment; preparing my morning talk). Some I hope to do, but may find I don't get round to them (preparing my evening sermon; producing notes about family worship; reducing my paperwork). Already, in my mind I am assuming that some things are going to be not done at all or not done as well as I'd like.

Surely a better attitude is to envisage myself doing all these things, doing them well, enjoying doing them, and feeling satisfied for having done them. I once came across the idea that To Do lists ought to be labelled Will Do lists. So, up with my socks, power to my backbone and on with the first of my Will Do tasks.

  • The Outcome: I didn't do everything on my list, but what I did I did to the best of my ability and enjoyed doing. It's well past midnight now, but I can retire to bed satisfied. It's been a good day.

No comments: