Sunday 20 January 2008

And doing it!

Most of yesterday was spent at Brixton catching up with two missed sessions of my Street Pastor training. On such occasions I would normally take an MP3 player and a book of cryptic crosswords to keep me entertained on the journey and during the lunch break. Yesterday I made the deliberate choice not to do so. Sitting on the train or walking along the street would be perfect opportunities for preparing services, magazine editorials etc (if alone) or building up relationships (if with a colleague).

One key point in this morning's parade service is that we need to trust Jesus with our lives - and that means not just listening to what he says, but doing it. I realised (as I paced the streets of Brixton during my lunch hour) that I am much bigger on listening than doing. I know the principles of Christian living, but I'm not so hot on running my life by them. The decision to leave behind my 'leisure props', and not to spend any time yesterday on my new toy (a one-day old MacBook) was a good step in the right direction. This morning I feel much more psyched up to leading a parade service than I did a few days ago.

No comments: