Sunday 6 January 2008

Forward is easier than reverse

We sang a hymn tonight in which the third line of music was similar to another hymn. I racked my brains for ages trying to work out which other hymn it reminded me of. I could hear the words that went with the familiar third line - "Look down with sad and wondering eyes" - and I could complete the verse by singing the fourth line - "To see the approaching sacrifice." - but there was no way I could work backwards. The earlier words and the earlier tune remained stubbornly out of my grasp until one of the church stewards provided the answer: "Ride on, ride on in majesty". The verse I was remembering is the one which continues "The winged squadrons of the sky..."

And the moral? There are many other progressive things which are far easier to follow in one direction than another. Hymns, songs and poetry are prime examples. Given the second line the mind can naturally supply the third, fourth and beyond, but just try thinking your way back to the first line and it's either hard work or nigh on impossible. So I reckon God is telling me that the easiest way from here is forward. Start where I am and get going. Don't try working my way backwards to some earlier state. This is who I am. This is what I know. These are the issues in my life. These are the skills I have developed. This is the situation I am facing. So get on and deal with it. It will be far easier than trying to turn the clock back.

No comments: