Wednesday 2 January 2008

HWJDI and WWJD

Being a disciple of Jesus (according to Dallas Willard whose book I am reading over breakfast sometimes and getting through very slowly) does not mean trying to live the life Jesus did but trying to work out how Jesus would live my life. So in terms of work, for example, being a disciple doesn't involve taking up carpentry, but being the kind of Methodist minister Jesus would be. Hence the question to ask is not so much "What would Jesus do?" but "How would Jesus do it?"

Today I have to lead a Bible study (two actually - the same one repeated). How would Jesus go about it? How would he present Philippians 3 to the particular group due to gather today? I also have to accompany my mother to St Pancras and see her safely on her way home, then stay on in London to help my wife buy a coat (a belated 50th birthday present from her brother). How would Jesus do that? How would he spend time with family?

These are good questions to ask. But they are not quite enough. It's all very well asking HWJDI in relation to the particular ways I intend to spend my time today, but on what basis do I make choices about the activities I pursue? My present method is to do the things I've got to do or the things scheduled in my diary and after that (or often, in chronological terms, before that) just do whatever occurs to me on the whim of the moment. I need to ask WWJD, not regarding a particular situation but regarding my overall plans for the day (or week or whatever).

Today's answer to 'what' is (I think) lead the Bible studies; look after my family; start preparing for Sunday; make decisions about which important jobs need to be tackled early in the new year. The answer to 'how' is varied but includes adverbs like 'well', 'with care' and 'compassionately'.

No comments: