Tuesday 22 January 2008

The problem with Methodism?

What is wrong with Methodist churches? Other local churches are growing. Why aren't we? These very good questions were posed by K as we stood shivering in the cold after a meeting of church and circuit treasurers. (Which, by the way, had the potential to be a very tense and difficult meeting but happily was able to reach a fairly amicable decision over next year's budget.)

Is it something about the minister's style of leadership? Or about the age profile of the congregation? Or about the quality of worship? Or about taking a clear stand on moral issues? We didn't come up with any answers, but it set me thinking about how wary I am about giving a strong opinion when I think others may not agree. I ought to have realised by now that there are plenty of things I say which people don't agree with, but it doesn't mean they dislike me, and it doesn't stop them going to church. Perhaps I shouldn't be afraid to speak my mind more often.

No comments: