Thursday 10 January 2008

Committees can be a blessing in disguise

Last night's pastoral meeting didn't go quite as I'd planned. I had identified over 40 people who are officially church members but who for a variety of reasons (some because they have moved away but never settled in another church) do not attend or even take an interest. I wanted to write to them all saying (as tactfully as I could) that unless they could persuade me to retain their membership it was high time to remove them from our list - bearing in mind that this would not prevent them receiving the church magazine if they wanted or being made welcome if they ever turned up at church.

The meeting agreed that it was ridiculous to keep all these people on our membership roll, but didn't like the idea of a letter. The feeling was that they each needed a visit from the minister. Where they lived at a distance I should instead contact the local Methodist minister and transfer their membership. I have to admit my heart sank at the prospect of putting in all this effort, especially when I have low expectations of any positive results. But on reflection, the meeting was quite right. I shouldn't attempt to dismiss any of these lapsed members too lightly.

And what was God saying to me through this? I think he was reminding me that I can't think and plan my ministry in splendid isolation. I need other people. I need different perspectives. I need encouragement and challenge from fellow Christians. I am not a solo performer, but part of a living vibrant body of believers.

No comments: