Thursday 17 January 2008

Undisciplined thoughts

What am I spending my time and energy on? At our ministers lunch fellowship on Tuesday, the pastor of the town church shared with us how they were planting a new congregation in a local school. I shared (at greater length, wittering on as usual) how we are joining with another local circuit. Afterwards it occurred to me to compare the two and realise that whilst T is putting his energy into outreach I am putting my energy into organisation.

Another example: Here are two particular issues (amongst many others) in my life. One is my decision that I need to replace my laptop and my investigation into the MacBook as a serious alternative. Another is the parade service this coming Sunday. One is about choosing the right tools for the job. The other is about presenting the good news of Jesus to a few hundred people including many children. Guess which I am spending all my time thinking about?

Lord, help me to get the different elements of my life in perspective. Help me focus on those things which matter in the bigger context of your kingdom. Help me to enjoy the things of lesser importance, but not to give them too large a space in my life. Help me discipline my thoughts and spent time reflecting on what is important rather than what is enjoyable.

No comments: