Tuesday 8 January 2008

It's the little things that bring happiness

It's amazing how trivial things can radically affect one's mood. This morning life seemed a little grey and dreary. The walk in the woods did lead to a geocache, but the mud and the constant drizzle took the edge off the pleasure. But by noon three simple facts have cheered me up. One is that the ministers fellowship is not happening tomorrow but next week. Given that I have a communion service, a funeral and a pastoral visitors meeting (all needing preparation), one less meeting is a real treat. The second bit of cheering news is that we have managed to get H's camcorder connected properly to the computer - something we failed to do last night despite considerable time and effort. Thirdly, I have won a CD on ebay (the bidding ended last night but I forgot to check until just now) and at a bargain price too!

So the day looks brighter. The rain has stopped. I am taking H to see "St Trinians" this afternoon. My sandwiches and lunch are beckoning. I don't have to worry about work for the rest of the day. (It's my day off if anyone is wondering.) If by bedtime I can find the right place to book for a summer holiday then I will be in fifth heaven. (It would be exceptional for my emotional state to reach any higher.)

Is it wrong to feel happy over such basically unimportant things? What about the state of the world - not to mention the church and my own contribution to it? What about the poverty of my spiritual life? Perhaps one of God's greatest blessings is the ability to set aside all the major difficulties of life for a while and enjoy the simple pleasures.

No comments: